This is the first of an annual Artist-in-Residence and commissioning programme at Cressing Temple Barns. Artist/s will be invited to respond to the site in its broadest sense from its rich history through to it being a visitor attraction, event and wedding venue. The site has a strong farming/horticultural heritage and has many unique spaces. There is a strong volunteering culture at Cressing Temple Barns including beekeeping, gardening and a Community Shed.
The studio space will be in The Dairy (12m x 2.5m) situated opposite the Farmhouse in the central part of the Cressing Temple site. The space has its own access, good light, power and water. There is free parking and the option of 24-hour access. Sound constraints may apply during the day due to visiting public and weddings, and evenings due to neighbouring residents.
The Residency Brief
We are looking for an artist or artists using any media to take up this studio opportunity in The Dairy as a 3-month Artist-in-Residence (August – October 2019). Space would be offered free in lieu of providing 1 public workshop and a minimum of 3 Open Studio Days over the course of the residency.
The selected artist would be given £10,000 (including fee, travel, materials and installation), to create an artwork for Cressing Temple Barns which will be left as a permanent legacy of the residency that visitors to the site can enjoy for years to come. We are open to all ideas/mediums that would add to the public realm either externally or internally, but that would require minimum ongoing maintenance or complicated installation. This pilot commission will form the basis of a new Cressing Temple art trail, adding to the overall visitor experience. The residency will include:
- Participatory workshop for either children, adults or families (please expand in letter of application)
- Open studio events that invite visitors into the resident artist’s space to better understand the work of the Artist-in-Residence
- A residency legacy / output. Selected artist/s will have Park Rangers to assist with basic installation of artwork/s if required.
Selected artists/crafts people would be DBS checked and formally contracted.
Please email email@example.com by Friday 5th July:
1. Your CV
2. Portfolio / link to relevant website for images (one pdf file showing examples of relevant past work. This should be between 10 – 20 images or links to video/audio works, or a combination of both (e.g. 10 images and 5 links). The works should include short captions or descriptions.
3. Covering letter of no more than 750 words outlining:
• How your practice engages with this brief / your interest in this opportunity
• Outline ideas for the final commissioned work
• Ideas for the workshop
• How this residency supports your career development
• Your relevant experience for this residency
5th July 2019 Deadline for artists to send CV/Images and Expression of Interest letter
16th or 19th July 2019 Interviews at Cressing Temple Barns
w/b 22nd July 2019 Artist site visit
August –October 2019 Residency
If you would like to find out more about this opportunity or have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
August to October 2019
16 Sept 2019 | 23 Sept 2019 | 30 Sept 2019 | 7 Oct 2019 | 14 Oct 2019 | 21 Oct 2019
Sunday 4th August
Friday 5th July
See individual events for details
8th August 2019