Hadleigh Country Park proudly offers its unique Iron Age Roundhouse as an educational venue for schools. Learners can feel the past come to life as they explore the fully-furnished roundhouse, dig up real ancient pottery and meet a Roman soldier or Celtic warrior.
We offer the following themed days:
- Stone Age to Iron Age
- Iron Age
- Celts and Romans
- Roman invasion of Britain
Activities that might be included in your day:
- Explore the progress of technology and lifestyle from Stone Age to Iron Age
- Learn what it was like to live in the Iron Age and how it compares to life today
- Hear the story of the Roman invasion of Britain and Boudica’s revolt
- Research different aspects of past life by finding evidence around the Roundhouse
- Become an archaeologist and take part in an excavation, digging up ancient artefacts
- Join ‘Warrior School’ - try out the weapons and fighting skills of the ancient Britons, or take part in Roman Army drill and learn battle formations including the famous ‘Testudo’
- Challenge yourself in the Roman Signal Game – send and receive coded messages over a distance, using flags and Roman numerals
- See the dressing up of a Roman soldier or Celtic warrior, and learn about their armour and weapons
- Make clay coil pots to take back to school and paint
- Grind corn on the quern or try striking sparks with a flint and steel
We can also offer other activities including:
- Interpreting and reconstructing excavated artefacts
- Roman mosaic tile designs
- Artefact feely bags
- Settlements - what do we need to survive and what factors determined where people settled?
Who is it for?
Key stages 2 and 3, and can be adapted to your class and curriculum. Just let us know your needs.
£7.50 per child. No charge for accompanying adults.
How to book
Please call us on 01702 551072